How To Fix a Razer Keyboard That’s Not Lighting Up
- 1. Plug the Keyboard Into an Alternative USB Port
- 2. Uninstall and Reinstall the Razer Synapse
- 3. Reinstall or Update the Drivers for Razer Synapse
- 4. Turn the Chroma Apps Off and On
- 5. Turn On the Lights on Your Razer Keyboard
- 6. Check for Faulty Hardware Components
- Choosing the Right Razer Gaming Keyboard
- Top Best Razer Keyboards for Gaming
- Final Thoughts
Razer keyboards are among the best for gaming and are generally more expensive than other brands. They offer some of the most impressive RGB lighting hardware and software experiences, but what if your fancy new Razer keyboard isn’t lighting up? Don’t panic; the solution is usually something simple.
Here’s how to fix a Razer keyboard that’s not lighting up:
- Plug the keyboard into an alternative USB port.
- Uninstall and reinstall the Razer Synapse.
- Reinstall or update the drivers for Razer Synapse.
- Turn the Chroma apps off and on.
- Turn on the lights on your Razer keyboard.
- Check for faulty hardware components.
Stay with me as we dive deeper into the various methods you can employ to make your Razer keyboard light up again. I’ll also explain how to choose the right Razer gaming keyboard and go over the top Razer keyboards on Amazon.
1. Plug the Keyboard Into an Alternative USB Port
If your Razer keyboard isn’t lighting up, check your USB connection. Examine the USB connector to see if it’s plugged in all the way. If not, plug it in properly.
Some Razer keyboards have two USB connectors. This is because their RGB lights require additional power or because they have USB passthrough. You need to check both of them to ensure they are plugged into the PC perfectly.
You may also consider using a different USB port. Detach the keyboard from its USB port and plug it into a different USB port on the back of your PC. If you don’t see any difference, try connecting the keyboard to a different computer.
If it still doesn’t light, the keyboard may have a different hardware or software problem. Consider calling Razer Tech Support to fix the issue. And if it lights up, the Razer Synapse might be the cause of the problem. Move to the next fix to resolve the issue on your own PC.
2. Uninstall and Reinstall the Razer Synapse
For long-lasting results, do a complete Razer Synapse reinstall by following the steps below:
- Unplug and Detach all Razer Devices from the Computer. Substitute Razer devices with a standard keyboard and mouse, if possible. If not, only plug in your Razer mouse.
- Uninstall the Razer Synapse. Type in “Add or remove program” on Start. Locate Razer Synapse on the list and uninstall it. Also, visit the Synapse files’ location and erase it (C:/ ProgramFiles(x86)/Razer).
- Restart Your Computer. Allow your PC to reboot after deleting all Razer Synapse files.
- Download and Reinstall the Razer Synapse. You can visit Razer’s download page. Then, run the installer and select RAZER SYNAPSE. Click INSTALL to start the process. It will take a few minutes to install. Lastly, toggle the launch Razer Synapse and select GET STARTED. Sign in using your Razer ID to synchronize the settings from the cloud automatically.
- Plug in the Razer Keyboard to Examine the Lights Response. When you finish the installation process, plug your Razer keyboard into the computer to see if it lights up.
3. Reinstall or Update the Drivers for Razer Synapse
Faulty drivers can also cause your Razer keyboard to fail to light up. You need to ensure that your device has the correct drivers and update those already damaged. Here’s how to do this:
- Open the Control Panel on your computer and open Device Manager. Open the View drop-down menu. After that, click on Show hidden devices.
- Locate the unresponsive Razer hardware and right-click it. You’ll see an option to update your driver.
- When you click on it, two options will pop up; a manual or automatic search for the drivers. Select the first option.
- If this procedure doesn’t fix the problem, visit the Razer Official Website to download the drivers and select the second option from the previous step. After that, go to the driver download folder to open it.
4. Turn the Chroma Apps Off and On
If you use your Razer keyboard to play games that use Chroma apps, this solution may work for you. The Razer Chroma-enabled devices allow programs and games to fully integrate for an immersive lighting experience.
But if that doesn’t work correctly, do the following:
- Open Razer Synapse.
- Find all Chroma apps listed on your computer.
- Turn them off one after the other.
- Turn the Chroma apps on again.
5. Turn On the Lights on Your Razer Keyboard
Many users turn off their Razer keyboard lights accidentally without even realizing it. It mostly happens when you use certain shortcut key combinations that happen to control the LEDs as well.
Even so, no need to worry. Follow these steps to light up your keyboard once again:
- Open Razer Synapse on your computer. Navigate to the Devices tab under the dashboard option, and select your Razer keyboard
- Click on the lighting tab. Then, click on the checkboxes beneath the switch-off lighting option to turn on the lights on your Razer keyboard.
- If you need to switch off your keyboard’s LED lights, tick the checkboxes under the switch off lighting option. You may also select the amount of time or minutes your keyboard lights stay on before going off when the computer is on standby.
6. Check for Faulty Hardware Components
Your Razer keyboard can have a faulty hardware component, even if it’s brand-new. Any tech product can become defective during manufacturing or get damaged while being shipped without anyone noticing. As a result, you may face a challenge getting the keyboard to work.
Connect your Razer keyboard to another computer to check if it works. If it doesn’t light up, chances are it has a faulty hardware component.
Unfortunately, you may not manage to fix the keyboard yourself. You might have to buy a new Razer keyboard or initiate a warranty claim. If your warranty is still valid, you may get a replacement. Alternatively, let the store you bought the keyboard from examine it to see if it’s fixable or needs replacing.
Choosing the Right Razer Gaming Keyboard
Razer gaming keyboards come in various models and shapes with varied prices and features. Knowing what you need in a keyboard will help you select the most ideal one for you. To make your buying decision easier, here are the things you should consider:
First, determine your budget. Knowing how much you want to spend on a keyboard will help you narrow down your list of keyboard options. If you are operating on a limited budget, you can opt for Razer keyboards for under $100.
And if you have enough money, go for Razer keyboards with extra features and capabilities. Razer is not the most budget-friendly because of its branding, design, and cool lighting options. But don’t hesitate to pay more to get the best. Luckily, the brand offers multiple key switch styles, extra customization, and wrist support.
Mechanical vs. Membrane
Computer keyboards operate on two technologies: mechanical or membrane. Most gamers prefer mechanical keyboards because of their high responsiveness. However, they tend to be pricey.
On the other hand, membrane keyboards are often less expensive than mechanical ones. Membrane keys feel soft when you press them, and they’re not as accurate as mechanical ones.
Fortunately, most keyboards labeled as gaming keyboards have mechanical key switches.
Another way to narrow down your Razer keyboard choices is by looking at the size. Generally, keyboards come in three main options:
- 60% keyboards
Full-sized keyboards give you everything you need alongside media keys and macro keys to improve your gaming experience. Tenkeyless keyboards are smaller and don’t have the Numpad.
On the other hand, 60% keyboards only have essential keys. They come in handy if you have limited space, but they aren’t ideal for typing.
If you care so much about the appearance of your keyboard, a Razer keyboard is what you need. They not only have a pretty design but exceptional functionality too.
Buying your keyboard from a reputable brand is the best way to guarantee quality and design. With Keyboards having different RGB lighting, you need to buy the one that enables you to customize the RGB lighting fully to fit the aesthetics of your room.
Most gamers check the price, RGB lighting, and size, but they overlook comfort. However, if you spend several hours on your computer, you need an ergonomically designed keyboard. That way, you lower the chances of getting a strain or injury.
You also need to get the most out of your gaming keyboard in terms of features. This includes:
- Having remappable buttons
- RGB lighting
- Wireless technology
- Volume slider
Top Best Razer Keyboards for Gaming
Having looked at the things to consider when choosing a gaming keyboard, here are our top five Razer gaming keyboards:
Razer Ornate Chroma (Amazon.com)
If you prefer comfort over anything else, Razer Ornata Chroma got your back. The keyboard is fitted with a broad magnetic wrist to guarantee comfort during extended gaming sessions. It’s all-black, and the RGB backlight can make your gaming room look way cooler.
Razer Ornata Chroma has a perfect macro keys range. Its switch type is mecha-membrane, part silicone dome, and part mechanical switch. The keyboard is wired and has a full size of 463x154x31 mm (18x6x1.22 in).
Razer BlackWidow Lite (Amazon.com)
The Razer BlackWidow Lite is the best if you need a keyboard you can carry with you after a long gaming session at your friend’s home. It’s a small, tenkeyless keyboard with a detachable cable that makes it easy to transport.
The keyboard is well-built and has a sleek design. It uses Razer’s orange mechanical key switches. Its tactile bump is highly responsive, making your typing experience exceptional. Nonetheless, you have to do with its simple white backlight as the keyboard doesn’t have RGB lighting. The keyboard size is 355x127x13 mm (13x5x0.51 in).
Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition TKL (Amazon.com)
This Razer keyboard is a fan favorite because it offers a clicky and tactile response. The Razer Huntsman keyboard uses optomechanical switches with infrared light to deliver the quickest response level possible.
Its design is outstanding and gives you a subtle RGB lighting array. Additionally, the keyboard has in-build game modes and customizable macro keys.
Razer Cynosa Chroma (Amazon.com)
If you’re working with a low budget but still need a solid device, the Razer Cynosa Chroma is the perfect option. Even though the keyboard doesn’t have mechanical switches, its membrane dome works perfectly fine.
This wired, full-sized keyboard has impressive features, including RGB lighting. It’s excellent value for the money. It even allows you to customize the RGB lighting on every key. Additionally, the keyboard allows you to manage your audio settings using Fn + F keys.
Its great-looking design is great for the price and will compliment your gaming room. Razer Cynosa Chroma is ideal for games requiring multiple key-binds or button-bashing.
Razer Turret Wireless Keyboard & Mouse Combo (Amazon.com)
The Razer Turret is an exceptional keyboard & mouse combo for multi-device gamers. This highly-versatile device is compatible with both Xbox consoles and computers.
Some Amazon reviewers claim it works with PlayStation consoles as well, but there’s no official support.
The keyboard is similar to the Razer BlackWidow regarding design, reliability, and quality. What’s more, the keyboard is wireless, making it excel in multi-device setups. Besides, it features a rectangular mouse pad, which adds to its glamorous touch. It’s the perfect keyboard for casual couch gaming. Thankfully, the mouse pad is magnetic, so you can easily remove it when you want to go back to your PC.
You now have all the quick fixes to keep your Razer keyboard up and running. And to avoid running into more problems, ensure you maintain your Razer keyboard properly.
Here are a few things you need to do:
- Regularly update the Razer Synapse software.
- Keep the Razer keyboard drivers updated.
- Regularly update your computer’s operating system.
- Change the USB port if it doesn’t work well.
- Ensure you plug your Razer keyboard correctly into the USB port on your computer.
- Don’t use corrupted user profiles in Razer Synapse.